Dear parents and students,
The second week of school is almost over. It was our pleasure to welcome our students back to school and see how they grew over the summer. We would like to extend a special welcome to the students and families who are new to our school this year, and we are looking forward to an exciting, productive and successful school year.
Ontario Universities' Fair (OUF)
This is a reminder that the Ontario Universities' Fair (OUF) takes place on September 27-29, 2019 | 10 am – 5 pm daily at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. Free admission. Don't miss it!
The OUF is the only event where you can see all 21 Ontario universities in one place. It's a once-a-year, free event where attendees can talk directly with senior university faculty and representatives.
However, don’t miss your Friday classes in school. We recommend you to go over the weekend together with your parents.
Please make sure you are able to log in to the school website (www.umca.ca). It is extremely important that all students know how to log in. Please spend time this weekend to navigate the UMCA website and look at all of its features. We are here to assist you through this process. Please get into the habit of checking the website every week as teachers constantly update their messages.
How to log in
In the page of the website, click on the tab “Student Portal” at the top right corner of the menu.
*The User Name is the first initial followed by your last name. All letters are lower case (for example: Dan Smith's user name will be: d_smith).
*The temporary password is: Changeme#123
*You will then be prompted to change your password.
*If you are not a new student, and haven’t logged in yet, your user name is the same as last year, but your temporary password is Changeme#123
Once you are logged in, you can read course information, view grades and communicate with teachers.
If you are facing any difficulties please contact Ms. Ariela and she will be more than happy to assist you.
A schedule was handed out. Our goal is to accommodate all students. If you have any problem with the schedule, please approach Ms. Suzana ASAP.
High School Student Body Elections
The time is approaching and student body elections are near! Students have taken it upon themselves to run this completely student-lead activity in order to make the school atmosphere a better and warmer place for all students. The positions available are president, vice-president, treasurer, secretary, and events co-ordinator. Please stay tuned!
Please pay attention to the following reminders of school’s regulations:
- Plagiarism is unacceptable in all circumstances and will be treated equally in all situations. Any plagiarised work will immediately be awarded a grade of zero and no opportunities to make up, or redo the assessment in question will be given. Should a student repeat this offense a meeting with the principal, parents, student, and teacher(s) will take place in order to discuss the student’s future at U.M.C.A Rich Tree Academy.
- Regular attendance at school is critical for a student's learning and achievement of course expectations. All teachers will keep a record of attendance which will be reported on the students' report cards.
- Students are expected to attend every class on time everyday unless there are valid medical or otherwise extenuating circumstances of urgent nature, which must be excused by the School Administration.
- All absences must be approved at least one week in advance to provide time for the teachers to adjust the students’ academic assignments accordingly. An unexcused absence refers to a situation in which a student misses an academic class without permission from the school and will not be tolerated. Teachers will provide academic support during and after the academic day. However, faculty cannot provide support during absences not sanctioned by the school.
- Teachers will issue warnings to students acquiring a large number of absences. This will serve to update the student on their attendance record and discuss how we may work together to rectify future situations.
- Should a student be deemed a high level athlete, they must communicate this with administration as soon as possible in order for proper accommodations to be made. All game and training dates must be submitted as soon as possible in order to adjust content delivery methods by teachers.
- Should a teacher schedule break times for classes 2 hours in length or longer, students must comply by the time set forth by the teacher. Should a student fail to return to class on time from a set break, they may not be permitted back into the classroom for the remainder of the class.
- Teachers at Rich Tree Academy have a variety of options to deal with late or missed assignments. We respect the professionalism of our educators and want them to select an approach that fits their situation and builds their students' confidence, responsibility and time management skills. These options include setting up peer tutoring, holding parent conferences, preparing a full year calendar for major assignments, setting up student contracts and having major assignments due in stages.
- Deducting marks — and even assigning a grade of zero, based on the Ministry's Drop Due Date Policy— can also be done, but it should be a last resort.
- We feel it right to fully explain how and where your marks are being generated. Communication is key, and we strongly believe that our website does a great job in showcasing your progress, as we have specifically designed it to be easy to comprehend.
Wednesday, October 9th – Yom Kipur – school is closed
September 27-29 – Ontario University Fair
UMCA wishes you all a wonderful weekend!